Let Them Eat Cake!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

So last week in the mist of my changing venue nightmare I decided to pick up a few containers for our dessert buffet. I found several apothecary jars at outlet stores in Atlanta. My original idea was to mimic this dessert bar.
photo credit: Karen Nickel Photography via An Atlanta Bride

In fact the bride who did this got married in the same venue as I will be marrying. Her blog is fabulous by the way. When I started to really think about it I couldn't fathom adults who really want that many sweets. While I love the idea...it just wasn't practical. I will have three or four flavors of cake for guest to sample and maybe another sweet treat to end the night :) I think my dollar and energy will be better spent on dinner items. So its to the return line I go with all my jars and platters in tow. Here are few more dessert buffets I liked.

http://www.aesthetic-style.com/bio/martha.jpg
images via Martha Stewart Weddings

images via manolobrides.com

Budget Saving tips for dessert Bars/ Buffets:
  1. Buy as many items as you can yourself. While it may be easier to just let the caterer do it, often times the amount to rent items from them will be higher or equal to buying them yourself. The benefit of owning these items is that you can always sell to another bride and recoup most of your investment.
  2. Shop at outlet and bargain stores. Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning are all great sources. My person favorite being TJ Maxx. Try Dollar store as well. While they don't carry as many items you may get lucky. Now the true secret is online shopping. This store carries everything. Including a wide assortment of jars and platters.
  3. Mix candy and desserts. Desserts will hit your pockets hard since most have to be made at a specialty store. Even if you use the grocery store, such as Publix's Bakery, the price can add up quickly. To cut your cost add candy you can buy in bulk. I recommend either the grocery store bins or one of the many online shops.
  4. Don't go overboard. Many guest will only sample a few sweets. Most adult palettes are not suited, but for so many sweets. Also many will just appreciate the novelty of it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment