Centerpieces: The Simpler the Better and Cheaper

Thursday, September 10, 2009

I went for my final dress fitting with my Maid of Honor today. We will be picking it up a 6pm tonight! Woo-hoo! On the way back we stopped at one of my favorite stores for florals in NYC. They honestly have the best artificial flowers I have ever seen. They are even better than real ones and I am not a fake flower person, but this place is beyond! While there I showed her the centerpiece I want to use at the wedding. It is simple, but stunning at the same time. when she saw it she loved it! She even said that with my venue anything else would look junkie and busy. The ceiling at our venue are carved, gold plated and have huge chandeliers. So what she said made sense to me.

In this process I have gained a love for the more natural or un-arranged flower arrangements...if you know what I mean. I like flowers in a vase with water. I know that is not what most florist or wedding industry people would recommend, but our. wedding is not an "industry" event. Its my wedding. I actually have rebelled from all the usual wedding protocols and it has been a quite freeing experience.

*image via InStyle Weddings
A great way to make it simple and savvy is to display a few flowers in a dramatic way. Just a simple vase and water will do here.

*image via The Hatchett Book Group

Preston Bailey got it right when he designed this place card centerpiece. Just peonies in a trumpet vase. While peonies are extremely costly and fickle to certain seasons any bushy flower would work for this. Try a few hydrangea or roses. Large head carnations could even pull this off!

An orchid spray also looks good, but can cost up to $30 a stem. A cheaper yet elegant alternative is below.

*image via Sharon Gassard Designs

This is a favorite of mine: White blossoming stems in a glass vase. You would be surprised at the drama this look can bring to a room when used in abundance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment